Sunday, March 30, 2008

and more cherry trees


Went with one of my painting groups on Thursday to our local botanical garden, and was again beguiled into painting the cherry trees. I have to say I'm not thrilled with this one. On a scale of one to ten, it's a five. Trying to deliver such a seemingly simply subject, while it is really...extremely complex. Lots of interweaving of foreground, background..it's tricky to make it believable.
I've been cleaning out my studio the last couple of weeks. Yes, that's right, weeks. What a disaster! I had too much stuff, and it was weighing on my mind and keeping me from painting. I actually destroyed about 20-25 old paintings- I can't keep everything forever, and these had outlived their usefulness It was time to let go. So I took a can of spray paint and defaced some, and the others I will burn. A sacrifice to the gods of painting. Now I'm feeling lighter and happier when I go into my space, and I'm feeling like being creative in there. As Martha says, it's a good thing.

No comments: